Friday, October 30, 2009

Chainsaw Ferret?

Yes, that's one of the things I've been working on this week. My son's costume of choice this year comes from this advertisement, which he and I saw on TV during the last week of August. We laughed so long we were nearly crying and we both knew immediately that he HAS TO BE THAT FOR HALLOWEEN.





If you really enjoyed that, check out the UNCUT version. It's even funnier - in a gross, gory, horrifying kind of way.

The body was pretty easy, and I sped right through it on Wednesday. The hood even, was pretty easy. Now, I still have to get to the difficult features - the different shades of fur that are inherent in ferret coats, the application of a "Hannibal Lecter" mask, and the chainsaw. It's not hard to get a chainsaw - just walk into the garage and get it. But, it's tricky to determine in what form your 12-year old son is allowed to carry a chainsaw around on Halloween night. For instance, is it enough that it's an electric chainsaw and he won't have a cord? Or, should I remove the chain, and replace it with a rubber band of some sort? I'm still working on this one.

During college, a bunch of friends and I went on a Haunted Hayride that was professed to be "too scary for little ones." One of the things they did to scare us half to death (and it REALLY worked, mind you) was to chase the hay wagon with a chainsaw that was running, but had a rubber band instead of the chain. They caught up to the hay wagon and picked on the lucky young ladies at the back and actually touched our legs with the running "blade" of the saw. I can tell you, we screamed our heads off. Even though we could plainly see there was no "blade", our brains told us NO, THIS IS NOT OKAY, YOU ARE GOING TO GET YOUR LEG CHOPPED OFF NOW. I'll never forget it.

As much as I'd love to provide such fond memories for my own kids, I just don't think that allowing my pre-teen, hormone ravaged, gluten enhanced, young son run around with a "live" chainsaw, in any form, is a good idea.

As for the other costume on my TO DO list, it's finished. Well, the part I had to make is finished. I signed off on the Sherlock Holmes black and white tweed capelet at 1:30 this morning. It's fully lined, with a large collar, and even has an invisible pocket where Sherlock will store her magnifying glass. That is, if I can FIND a magnifying glass. By tomorrow. And, if I can find a black skirt or pants that Sherlock will be willing to wear with her capelet, as she refuses to wear black leggings ALONE. "Like, MOOOOM, really. I can't wear JUST LEGGINGS!"

Pumpkins? What? Who said that? We're supposed to have pumpkins too? Okay, you provide the carved pumpkins. And whoever took my cool black owl from my front porch, please give it back. He is my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is where you can post a photo challenge guess, or a comment on what you see here. I'd love to hear from you!