Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Winner - Week 18 Photo Challenge

My friend, Charlie-who's-lived-here-all-his-life was the winner this week! And it's about time. Congratulations Charlie! I hope you're putting your little tiny dishes to good use.
The cool photo for this week was taken at Champion Auto, on Route 1 in Arundel, just off the corner of Log Cabin Road.


Champion Auto is an auto shop that specializes in repairing and refurbishing antiques and used cars, motorcycles, trucks and just about anything with wheels. There are always lots of fun looking cars and vehicles in the lot, and the whole place just makes you want to stop and explore with all the old signs and the mural on the garage door.



When I stopped by to take these pictures, the guys there were super nice - even moved a few cars for me and closed the garage door so I could get the best shots.


I had to ask the name of the business though, because with all those signs hanging around, they don't have one that says Champion Auto. At least not that I could see. The only one that comes close: look closely at the picture below... see the green street sign hanging at the edge of the roof that says "Champion St."? That's it. Marketing at it's finest.


My son and I passed here a few times last year and noticed THIS CRAZY THING on the lot. At the time we thought it looked a lot like an onion and we were so excited about it that we immediately came up with a business for which we'd use it: The Onion Man. The Onion Man (my son or myself, or both, if we fit in the onion together) would drive around selling "blooming onions." You know, these things:

We figured we'd come up with a "very special sauce" all our own, and work like an ice cream truck, driving around town shouting, "Get your bloomin' onions!!!" stopping and selling fried onions to the throngs of people lined up along the lane. We'd have loud music booming out of our onion car. We thought we'd make up and record a song that went to the tune of "The Muffin Man" and play that.
Oh, do you know the onion man,
The onion man, the onion man,
Oh, do you know the onion man,
Who drives an onion car?
The idea had us laughing until our stomachs hurt, and we expanded our capitalist dreams about The Onion Man for weeks afterwards. I see now that this strange little vehicle has been sold. I wonder what it's up to? Is there an Onion Man out there right now, taking cold hard cash for some fried onions with a very special sauce. I think so. And I really hope he stops by my house.

Thursday is only eight hours away, and on Thursday I'll post a new picture for you. And in a day or two I'll show the you the little carrot costumes that I made this week. And in another few days after that, Hiccups will be no longer and I'll have a brand new site (with all the same great features) at a new address - it's fabulous darlings. I can't wait til you see it.
'Till then rap stars.

1 comment:

Lisa's Cocina said...

I can't wait to see the carrot costumes AND your new site!

Post a Comment

This is where you can post a photo challenge guess, or a comment on what you see here. I'd love to hear from you!