Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Week 15 - We have a winner!

Congratulations to Joe Merry! He guessed the Memorial Park on the corner of Summer Street and Portland Road (Route 1), just next to the Police Department.

Joe sent in his quick response via a direct email and is now enjoying his $5 Gift Card to The Cafe at Lafayette.

Thanks to my friend, Charlie-who's-lived-here-all-his-life, we now know that there used to be a HUGE town hall building in this same location. Actually, not sure how Charlie knows this as he's nowhere near old enough to have seen it in person - just local lore, I guess, hand-me-down-info. I couldn't believe there was a large building in that location at one time, so I had to look it up. I found a picture of the old building and a bit of info from Maine Memory...



The Kennebunk Town Hall, at Summer Street and Portland Road, was built in 1867 after the first town hall burned. This photo was taken during the Old Home Week parade in 1907. (Image contributed to Maine Memory by the Maine Historical Society.)

You can see the current police station building on the right, and the yellow house on the left. That yellow house looks so tiny next to that town hall, and of course, the intersection is completely different now that we have cars instead of carriages and wagons!

Without a visit to the Brick Store Museum, I can't get much more information on this building. Charlie tells me it burned down in 1920 or so, and that's when the new one (the current one) was built across the street.

So, tomorrow is another day, another challenge.
See ya'll then pardners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is where you can post a photo challenge guess, or a comment on what you see here. I'd love to hear from you!