Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Pencils Ready....!

I think it's time to Snippet again.

The last snippet came from the first page of Out of Africa, by Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen), one of my all time favorite books..."I had a farm in Africa at the foot of the Ngong Hills..." All of her books are very good and I recommend them if you like the sort of book that takes you somewhere else, but not too fast and not with too much vigor. As well as Tombstone, Arizona, one of my travel goals in life is to visit Karen Blixen's house in Denmark, which is now a museum.
Alas, that for another day.

For today, I give you this new snippet...

"Ah, excuse me, Ma'am? Could you please stop that? The ketchup is not a TOY."


Now, what can you all give me in return? Pencils (and keyboards) at the ready...let's see what you've got.
'Til later chowhounds.

2 comments:

Critter's Mom said...

I recognize the voice immediately, and try too hard to conceal my grin. How could he possibly be here? Here - in this deli, in this moment?

Katrine said...

"I'm sorry sir, I've never seen..." she was standing now with her head turned at a weird angle, looking up into the white plastic head of the ketchup dispenser, her voice trailing off in wonderment. I looked around realizing it had become very quiet. The geeky cashier's pleading had drawn attention to her and now all eyes were fixed on the condiment counter. Her pantlegs and the front of her Joan Jett t-shirt were smeared with ketchup (Joan Jett now appeared to be bleeding from her entire face). Her hands were dripping with ketchup and there were red globs on the counter, the floor, her shoes and the bins of plasticware.
She's never seen WHAT, I wondered. Ketchup? A ketchup dispenser? Is that possible? Could this woman, apparently middle-aged, never have seen ketchup? Possibly even never have been to a fast-food restaurant? Where on Earth had she been? My mind was wandering through short tails of a woman from the past, from the 80's, when Joan Jett was SOMEBODY and pants with front pleats were cool. But even then, even if she had been launched from some time warp right into the middle of Wendy's, there was KETCHUP in the 80's.

(I had to take a shot at this snippet myself - couldn't help it)

Post a Comment

This is where you can post a photo challenge guess, or a comment on what you see here. I'd love to hear from you!