Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Nana's wedding party, and girls step out

My mother's wedding will include a small, but dear wedding party. Along with the bride, Mom, and the groom, Mike, there will be 9 people directly involved.

Mike's brother will be standing as Best Man, and his nephew will "stand with the men" during the ceremony (there really won't be any ushering to do as I don't think anyone will be sitting during the ceremony).
My cousin will perform the ceremony and I've seen him at work. We'll all be crying our eyes out. It will be personal, meaningful and loving. I'm going to pass out tissues to all the guests beforehand. And keep several packs for myself.

My brother and my son will walk the bride down the aisle. I just love this. They are both so handsome. My son is so proud to be given such an important role. His Nana is his best friend.

My grandfather, the father of the bride, will meet her at the alter to give her away. He might add in some wisdom, such as "Where are we?" or "Yep, I'm still alive."
I am thrilled to stand as Matron of Honor. I'm not sure I like the title of MATRON, but alas, I am no Maid.
My daughter and my brother's two girls will be Maids of Honor. How cool. Not Junior Bridesmaids, not Flowergirls. Maids of Honor. How very grown up. They are 11, 10 and 9 years old.
Since "what to wear" is such a big question in weddings, it came up early for the girls. Immediately we all agreed that formal would not work, and frilly was just not their nature. It took a while to find the right dress for them. We even considered skirts or pants with dressy tops. We never looked at bridal shops. We searched J.Crew, Gap, Old Navy. We looked at Garnet Hill and Ralph Lauren. We finally located a dress, at Boden, that the girls felt they could comfortably wear, and that Mom thought was appropriate for the occasion. It's a simple sun dress; comfortable, breezy and unencumbered. We also got some little shrugs for them to wear in the evening, as it gets chilly by the water.
Shoes for the girls have been even trickier than dresses. The bride wants them to be comfortable. She wants them to be able to play on the rocks after the ceremony. But, they also have to be dressed for a wedding - they can't be dressed for rock climbing. We looked at little ballet slippers and flip-flops and plain white Keds sneakers. We talked about decorating the plain white Keds with ribbons and lace and pearls - but that made them wrinkle their little noses. We tried all the places we'd searched for dresses, hoping for a perfect pair of sandals or espadrilles. We looked at customized Converse AllStars with the word "Bridesmaid" embroidered on the side (my daughter's first choice) - but decided they were way too bulky. Cool, but bulky. After many weeks of ignoring the shoe dilemma and hoping it would solve itself, I finally made an effort to visit every available shoe in our mall, with my daughter in tow, until we found something. We looked at sandals and sneakers and flip flops. And where did we end up? PAYLESS SHOES. Ugh. I truly am not a fan of Payless. Anything I've ever purchased there has self-destructed directly under my feet in a matter of days. But since the girls are only going to wear these shoes for a couple of hours, self-destruction will be tolerated. We found a nice pair of silver sandals that go perfectly with the dress and will look rather grown-up on wedding day.



I haven't even seen the whole ensemble together on my daughter yet. And I'm not sure what my nieces have for shoes, or if they even have shoes yet. I suppose a test run would be a good idea. But, I have to square away what I'M wearing first! And that comes next. In a few days.
New image for the photo contest tomorrow. And a new prize. Hmm, what will it be? See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is where you can post a photo challenge guess, or a comment on what you see here. I'd love to hear from you!